Let your heart shine
Every Valentine’s Day hearts become the motif of the moment but it is a incredibly beautiful shape to design with any time of the year. How many different heart shaped crystals do you know about? I’ve had a look see and decided to show you some of the different heart crystals available from Swarovski to help in your designs.
These no-hole crystals have matching settings and you can order either with or without holes and in a range of finishes and in ‘Breaking news’ Swarovski have just added round stone settings to their range!
Settings with holes allow the DIY designer to make fabulous crystal jewellery without using a soldering iron. You just sit the stone level in the setting and bend the lugs down with pliers.
Wiring jewellery, like this fabulous Bollywood style necklace, is one of my favourite techniques and one that you should be able to do too. In this necklace the cupchain is wrapped with wire and then attached to the floral centre piece. The heart fancy stones are wired into the cupchain to create the beautiful flowing shape.
What crystals are heart shaped?
Plenty of crystals to choose in a range of heart shapes too! My favourite are the sew-on stones, perfect for that quick, easy to wear bracelet using macramé or switchback braid.
- Pendants – made up to 37mm, these generally have a hole at the top, though one style has a heart shaped hole. Available in a range of shapes.
‘Devoted 2 You’ heart pendant available from I-Beads
- Sew-on stones – easy to use flat back foiled crystals that have a hole at both sides. Perfect for stitching onto a backing or attached with jump rings to designs.
- Be Charmed pendants – beautiful charms and pendants with tiny Swarovski crystals embedded into clay.
- Flat back crystals – available in hot fix or plain these little heart crystals are perfect for embellishing clothing. Try placing the hotfix on a bead shaped from Fimo and bake in the oven to stick.
- Buttons – beautiful heart shaped buttons are perfect for making a fastening for macramé and other styles of knotted jewellery. They also look stunning on an embroidered design.
Be inspired and buy some Swarovski Hearts for your next jewellery project!